Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Erin Wilson on Touring With Wicked, Greenville, and Mishaps During the Show

Erin Wilson is currently performing on the 2nd national tour of Wicked in the ensemble and as an understudy for Madame Morrible. Regionally, she had done great shows like Grease (as Cha-Cha) and West Side Story (as Velma.) She answered a few questions for us on what life is like on tour and her theatrical journey so far.

-When did you know you wanted to pursue acting? What training did you recieve?

I was always a performer. Seriously, I'm pretty sure I came singing and dancing out of the womb! I started dancing at age 3 and never stopped training. I started singing in church and when I would play the piano and knew I had a knack for it which eventually led to finding good vocal teachers. I started acting in high school and received my BFA from BYU in Acting and Musical Theater. I have always searched for classes, teachers and training that helped me to grow and stretch myself beyond what I ever could have imagined as a kid who knew she wanted to be on Broadway.

-What was the audition process like for Wicked? How many times did you have to audition/go to a callback?

I went to an open equity dance call and Wayne Cilento [choreographer of Wicked] happened to be there. I made it past a few rounds and eventually was asked to sing. This is the ONLY audition I have ever not brought my audition book to {I was pretty sure I would get cut} and when they asked me to stay and sing I was freaking out. Luckily my friend was also kept and she SO kindly let me use her book. I flipped through the songs and realized the only song I knew well enough was "What I Did For Love" from A Chorus Line {coincidentally a show in which Wayne was an original cast member} and kind of nailed it. PURE LUCK and adrenaline because this isn't a song I sing, just one I know! This began my auditioning for Wicked--I was asked back later 2 more times to sing/dance/read for casting and creatives and finally booked it.

-What is your favorite and least favorite thing about touring?

My favorite thing is the first day in a new theater. So fresh, so exhilarating. My least favorite thing is packing and not getting to have a printer, a kitchen aid mixer, and a sewing machine at my disposal :)

-Reaching back a little bit, what did you think of Greenville and what did find to do here? (I love this question. According to Carmen Cusack, we have good spas? )

Yes, you have a great spa right next to the Westin {can't recall the name right now}. You have a a great little downtown area with lots of fun shops and restaurants. I shared many meals at the Underground Coffee Shop and that fresh Mexican place. I thought the weather was beautiful, except when there was an ice storm! No one liked that!!

-Can you recall any funny mishaps during your run? Machinery malfunctions, funny adlibs?

Oh wow...well, the other day I was standing on stage to start the show and felt something at my feet. I looked down and my skirt had fallen off. I had a different costume underneath and had to run off and try to get it back on quickly. I missed a bit of the number but not too much.

We had a roach fly onto the stage once. Let's just say I took care of it :)

I don't really recall any funny adlibs, but I do remember the day that our old Fiyero mixed up his lyrics in Dancing Through Life. It worked out, it just made us giggle through the number.

-What are some cool details about the sets, props, or costumes that people should look out for or know about?

The costumes are INCREDIBLE. I mean, if you could see them up close you could see all of the gorgeous detail. One of my favorite costumes is the pirate-esque Emerald City costume worn by a male dancer swing. If you see it you'll know that a swing is on and get to see the brilliance of it!

Elphaba's No Good Deed dress looks black from the audience but is actually woven with lots of gorgeous color. It is one of the most exquisite costumes in the show.

All of our books we use in [What is This Feeling?] and [Dancing Through Life] are written in German. We have no idea what they say but during rehearsal and tech when we would have down time we had a competition to see who could find the longest word. I think I found a word with 36 letters in it.

-What made you decide to start your blog?

I actually started my blog as an outlet from auditioning. I was in kind of a limbo state with my career and needed something else to focus a few hours a day on that didn't have anything to do with musical theater or getting a job. It continues to be a wonderful creative outlet for me and a great place to journal my life and experiences I am now having on tour.

-Finally, if you could dreamcast and star in a show of your choice, which show would you pick and who would you cast?

Oh wow...that's hard! I would first want it to originate a role and build it from the ground up with a brilliant director like Joe Mantello or Des McAnuff. Such respect for them. Then I would want to cast it with my brilliant friends and colleagues who would kill it nightly. But I would like to play Fanny Brice {Funny Girl}, Mama Rose{Gypsy}, Lucille Frank {Parade}, Cathy {Last 5 Years}, Mrs. Lovett {Sweeny Todd} and a whole slew of other roles.

Thanks for answering our questions, Erin!

Check out Erin's blog here: http://www.erin-wilson.blogspot.com/ and go catch her in the 2nd national tour of Wicked, schedule here: www.wickedthemusical.com/page.php#WickedCitiesonTour


No comments:

Post a Comment